Friday, October 23, 2009

How to Kitten Proof Your House


My cats have discovered the upstairs bathroom. As you can imagine, this could only lead to disaster.
They've successfully chewed (yes, chewed) their through two roles of toilet paper! I don't know if they're teething or what but lately they've REALLY been into chewing things. I thought that was just dogs! When I've got my face in a book Jinx will chew his way through that book (I guess he's just jealous, that book being in his usual spot in my lap). The Cottonelle puppy totally doesn't desevere to be on the toilet paper package. It would be much more accurate to put a kitten on the package.

At least something good came out of their chewing. Its inspired me to come up with ways to "kitten proof your house" a list that I sure wish I could have had when I first got my babies.

How To Kitten Proof Your House

* When your clean their litter box (a delicate art that often takes years to master) make sure to put them in another room or enclosed area. Should you forget this tip it will result in your kittens desperately trying to knock their own poop (you read that right) out of the scooper. Though you might want to try letting them at it once because their cute little kitten determation will is just adorable!

* PUT THE TOILET PAPER UP HIGH! Or better yet, keep the bathroom door closed at all times.

*Do not leave anything dangling (especially not your brand new purple wig that your using for your Halloween costume, or they'll rip it to shreds). This will tempt them terribly and they will not be able to resist pouncing and tearing something apart that you'll have to vacuum up later.
* Keep all puzzles up high. I mean high, because these suckers can (and will) climb to get what they want. Trust me, do not leave your almost-finished-just-twenty-pieces-left puzzle out where they can reach. I speak from experience.
They may sound like a lot of work. But they don't cause trouble on purpose. You know that phrase 'curisoity killed the cat'? Whoever said that really knew what he was talking about. But it's worth it. When you have those moments cuddled up with them, puring and soft, you know it's worth it.

1 comment:

  1. This was funny - I didn't even know cats could chew :)

    And I love your little doggie pic! :)

    ReplyDelete