Thursday, March 18, 2010

In Which I Decide To Confuse Everyone By Changing My Cat's Names

Nope, I'm not kidding.

 Don't give me that look.

I have good reasons. It started with the urge. My dad's cat (mother of my cats) had kittens! Again (yes, this is a habit).

I'm sure I don't have to tell you how cute they are. And so tiny! They can fit into the palm of your hand. Len and I fell into  fits of "Ohhhhh, sooooo cute! Ohhhhhh, sooo soft! Soooooo tiny! Ohhhhhhh!" You get the picture.

I phoned home and gushed on about cuteness and softness and tinyness to my mother's dismay.

Mom: You guys know they won't stay kittens forever.

Sam: Yes. But they're so cute! And if we got them we could name them 'Louis' and 'Lestat'!

Mom: You already have cats.

Sam: But we could name them Louis and Lestat!

Mom: Why don't you just keep the cats at your dad's house?

Sam (pondering): Okay. But can we at least rename our cats?

Mom (laughing): What happens in six months when you get tired of Interview and regret naming them after the characters?

Sam: NEVER!

Because, although I admit I may get tired of the Vampire Chronicles, I will never get tired of the characters. They will be my life long friends. Who live inside of books.

So now Jinx is Lestat and Forest is Louis!

Just look at the similarities:



Brooding eyes, just like Louis



Blue eyes, just like Lestat

See? Lestat has blond hair and blue eyes. Cat Lestat, check (blond hair translates into white fur). Lestat is arrogant and a tad spoiled. Cat Lestat, check. Same goes for Louis/ cat Louis. No kidding. Just look at the pictures again.

On the Subject of Pronunciation:

How do you pronounce the name Louis?

See this video. Cracks me up every time.

How do you pronounce Lestat's name?

Here's what Laura Troise (with various contributions by numerous others) says (article from Anne Rice FAQ):

"There are three schools of thought on this:
Less-tat (rhymes with 'hat')
Luh-stat (also rhymes with 'hat')
Luh-staht (ah sounding like the 'o' in 'dot' or 'hot')"

While reading the novel aloud my mother and I used the third prounciation. Anne Rice uses the same prounciation. But in the film they tended to use the first form of prounciation. I was personally appalled. Less-tat just doesn't sound as vampire-y. When adressing my cat please use the Anne Rice way.

What happens if I adress your cat as 'Less-tat'?

You get sprayed (this also apiles for you adressing cat by old names).

Don't let this be you!

Thank you for reading and coping with my obsession!

1 comment:

  1. Such a funny post! Thanks for keeping me entertained. :)

    ReplyDelete